Happy Tuesday all! This time of year is one of my favorites as Weight Watchers rolls out their new and/or updated program materials. It is the official “hit the restart” button every year that gets everyone all motivated again and helps to give me that extra push through the holidays. Yep, I am a total Weight Watcher geek and I can admit it – I LOVE getting new books, reading the same info even if I saw it last year and you know what, I am OK with that!
So, what’s new with the Weight Watchers Program in 2015?
Before I jump into sharing my thoughts, I want to say, nothing is changing about the Weight Watchers Program in 2015.
It’s still the same program whether you are counting points+ or following the Simply Filing Technique….they’ve just added to their tool kit to help you become more successful at creating a healthy lifestyle!
It can be summed up in 3 things:
1) Simple Start is gone and the app is no longer being supported ~ I think that everyone realized that Simple Start just wasn’t so simple for everyone. Instead the new “Getting Started” book is now called “What To Eat”.
2) Personalized Coaching ~ You will be allowed to have your meetings 1:1 with a Weight Watcher Coach as well as attend the group meetings if this approach works better for you.
3) 24:7 Chat ~ Chat anytime, anywhere with one of the online coaches.
The focus this year is really on helping everyone work on their relationship with food to make it easier to sustain the new healthy lifestyle changes you are making. This is what you find as the meeting themes in 2015.
Here are a few highlights of what is inside the new book you will be getting this week:
There are 4 Simple Steps to the Weight Watchers Points Plus Program to guide you to success.
2) Use this new “What To Eat” book to help you get started with a few recipes you can make and learn how to put your meals together using the “build a meal” section.
One thing I was a little bummed about was they didn’t refresh the recipes they picked – it’s the exact same recipes you all saw in last year’s Simple Start booklet. Too bad as there are so many great recipes on the Weight Watchers website – so go there to get even more ideas.
I still love the build a meal section as it’s a great way when you are short on time and looking for quick healthy foods to eat.
I love the addition of the Meal Combos to help you figure out how to put all the foods together for one tasty meal. There is a selection for Snack Time and Smart Splurges just like you saw with the Simple Start Program.
3) I also totally dig that Weight Watchers is recognizing that their members do have special dietary needs and are flagging recipes to let them know what works if you are gluten free, vegetarian, low-carb (for diabetics), etc..
My favorite two sections ~ Lower Carb and Simply Filling!
The Nearly No-Cook section will be great during the holiday season when time for cooking is limited.There are little symbols at the bottom of all the recipes in the book to let you know which category this recipe falls into, SF=Simply Filling, GF = Gluten Free, etc. I like the thumbs up tips too!
I think it’s awesome that Weight Watchers is helping everyone balance out their meals by making sure they know not only how to build a meal but what portions should go on your plate to ensure all the Healthy Guidelines are met. There will even be a plate available this year that shows you how to fill it with protein, veggies/fruit, lean protein and whole grains.
The book shows you how this visually works on the plate so you can replicate it. I am definitely a visual person so seeing it in a picture works more than reading about it.
The Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique is still in full swing and it looks just like it did last year – yeah! Summarized in 3 Steps or you can check out this post and this category to see how I work the Simply Filling Technique.
Keeping with the theme to help everyone learn how to make the food portion of the program work there are two pretty cool sections in this year’s book….like
What To Eat If…..
- You are following the Simply Filling Technique
- Need Lower Carb (diabetic options)…..
- Gluten Free…..
- Or really just do not want to cook…..Grab and Go Options!
“Five Things To Do” with…..giving you recipes and/or quick meal ideas…..
- Five Things To Do With Black Beans…
- Five Things To Do With Cooked Chicken…
- Five Things To Do With Whole Wheat Pasta….
- Five Things To Do With Convenience Foods (for the Nearly No Cook Option!)
If your dining out, there is a section that helps you navigate the menu and the book finishes by helping you plan out your first day with What To Eat Tonight….
You didn’t really think I’d stop there, did you? I can’t help myself….I had to feed my cookbook addiction with the newest Love It, Cook It, Eat It! Cookbook out this week too!
There are two full pages of recipes that work for Simply Filling!With so many recipes I can’t wait to make. While there isn’t a picture for every recipe (my preference!) the pictures like this Spicy Turkey and Mango Wrap (hello Sriracha sauce!) make me want to dive right in.
The Meatless Mushroom Pasta is totally going on this year’s Meatless March Menu too!
The “Official” Weight Watchers Roll out is in January 2014 so I have no doubt you will be seeing more about the new program soon.
Seriously ~ Fun Stuff ~ It is one of my favorite times of the year because regardless of whether the program changes completely or gets refreshed ~ it always jazzes me up for another year to try something new and have fun with it ~ MOTIVATION!
QUESTION OF THE DAY:
What is one healthy holiday recipe you are making this year?
I can’t wait to make Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes! Oh and Persimmon Cookies (recipe coming soon!)
Have a fantastic day all and I will catch up with you all soon!