Happy Wednesday all! I really wanted to have someone whip up a batch of homemade chicken noodle soup for me this week since I am trying to get over this cold. I am sort of a soup snob. I love homemade soups and rarely eat canned soup even when I am sick. It is so easy to make hearty chicken noodle soup that tastes like it has been cooking for hours in just 3 simple steps.
This recipe works well if you have leftover chicken to use up, chicken in the freezer (it can go straight in the pan) or you could even take a short cut and use a rotisserie chicken. The fresh herbs and lemon juice really brighten the flavor, while the fire roasted tomatoes bring a smoky richness and homemade soup taste. I used a few sprigs of fresh herbs I had in the garden, however, you can use dried herbs if that is all you have on hand.
This soup is packed with veggie goodness and delicious by itself, however, I bet it would be even better if someone would come over and make me homemade crusty sour dough bread to go with it lol.
HEARTY CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- 6 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 sprig rosemary, thyme and oregano or 1/2 tsp each dried
- 1 bay leave, fresh or dried
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5 oz can Fire Roasted, Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, optional
- 4 oz whole wheat egg noodles
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley to garnish, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Combine chicken broth through bay leave in a large soup pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. If using fresh herb sprigs, remove and discard sprigs and bay leave.
2. Remove chicken breast, shred and set aside. Add carrots through parmesan and return to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, until carrots are softened slightly. Add the pasta and cook for 7 minutes.
3. Return chicken to pan and season to taste with black pepper. Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley before serving.
Makes 6 servings, 1 1/2 cups each, 2 WWFreestyle Smartpoints, 100% Simply Filling, 5 points+ each
Nutritional information per serving, based on all ingredients:
Thanks for all the congrats on my new job! I LOVE that you all are so supportive and I can’t wait to share my new adventures in Sactown with you all. I will be back tomorrow with a normal daily if I stop eating something other than soup and fruit, but, for now, I am off to drink my Echinacea Tea with honey and catch some z’s.