Hi all! Do you all remember the super, easy, WW friendly Turkey Fajita Skillet aka Deconstructed Stuffed Pepper recipe I made awhile back? You know the one that has turkey taco meat, fajita veggies, nutty brown rice, smoky chipotle diced tomatoes, green chillies, cheese and cilantro all in one pan?! Yep, that one!
Well, I am finally posting the recipe for you all…what can I say, better late than never lol.
I love one pot meals that come together in 20 minutes or less. This hearty casserole is quite tasty eaten straight up, but, I love serving mine over 1/2 cup sweet corn to make it like a tamale pie. Get creative with your toppers (think greek yogurt, tomatoes, lettucel jalapenos) and be sure to sneak one or two servings in the freezer for an even faster meal when you do not have time to cook. Enjoy!
TURKEY FAJITA SKILLET (print it!)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red or 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 3-4 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 15 oz diced tomatoes with chipotle
- 4 oz fire roasted diced green chillies
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s Lite shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3 cups corn, optional
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, cooking until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the ground turkey, cooking until browned and cooked through. Sprinkle with taco seasoning then add rice, tomatoes and green chillies. Return pepper mix to pan, stir and cook one minute.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle cheese and cilantro. Serve as is or scoop on top of corn making it a “turkey fajita tamale pie”.
Makes 6 heaping 1 1/2 cup servings for 7 WWFreestyle Smartpoints, 100% Simply Filling
Nutrition facts per serving for all ingredients:
STEP – BY – STEP:
Saute peppers and onions in a large non-stick pan with the avocado oil to caramelize/brown, until softened, about 4-5 minutes.Brown the turkey, sprinkle with taco sraseason then stir in the brown rice, tomatoes and chilies.
TIP: You can grab Trader Joe’s Frozen Organic Brown Rice and it cooks in 3 minutes in the microwave.Return the pepper mix to the pan.Remove from the heat then top with cheese and cilantro. You can cover for a few minutes to help the cheese melt faster.Night all!